The tourism potential for Kannur district is high. The St. Angelos Fort in the Kannur Cantonment, which was constructed in 1505, is a symbol of Portuguese architecture and attracts plenty of tourists. The Thalassery Fort is an important tourist centre. Kannur beach and Ezhimala are known for scenic beauty. Places of historic importance, like the house of
Gulldert, who composed the first Malayalm- English Dictionary and the mosque at Madayi
constructed in 1124, using marble brought from Mecca attract many tourists.
Fort St. Angelos
Fort St. Angelos is in the west of Kannur town. It was built in 1505 by the first Portuguese Viceroy, Don Francisco De Almeida, with the permission of the Kolathiris, on a promontory jutting into the Lakshadweep sea. The Dutch captured the fort in 1663 and sold it to the Ali Raja of Kannur in 1772 and in 1790 it came into the possession of the British. The British rebuilt it and made it their most important station in Malabar . This fort is in a fairly good state of preservation, though parts of it have collapsed. A few obsolete guns are seen at the place. The fort is a protected monument under the Archaeological Survey of India.
The British arrived in Thalassery in 1683 and errected a goods shed there. They shifted their ommercial capital to Thalassery from Kozhikkode, following obstruction from the Dutch. In 1700, the British built the Thalassery Fort on a small hill called Tiruvellapadkunnu and in 1708, it was strengthened by increasing its height and with bastions. The fort is square structure built of laterite and is distinguished by its massiv ventilated walls and strong flanking bastions. It was here that Raider' captain was imprisoned.The famous St. John's Anglican church is behind this fort.
The Payyambalam beach is one of the beautiful beaches in this State and is an ideal place to spend evenings, irrespective of seasons. It is very near Kannur town. ,The mortal remains or' Swadeshabhimani Ramakrishna Pilla, A.K. Gopalan, K.P. Gopalan, Pamban Madhavan and K.G. Marar are laid to rest near this beach.
It is called so as it is smaller than its bigger neighbourhood, Payyambalam Beach. The famous St. Angelo Fort is adjacent to it.
Situated at Azhikode, it is a few kilometers from the town. The virgin beach is a tourist’s paradise with golden sand and surf.
Kizhunna Ezhara Beach
11 km from Kannur, this beautiful stretch of sand is one of the most secluded beaches in Kerala.
Muzhappilangad Drive-in Beach
A long clean beach, its enchanting ambiance invites you to swim, sunbathe or just lounge around. It is Kerala’s only drive-in beach. It is situated about 5 km north of Thalassery and 15 km from Kannur. There is an unpaved road winding through coconut groves, leading to the beach. The beach is about 5 kilometres long and curves in a wide area providing a good view of Kannur beach on the north. To the South and about 200 meters away from the beach there is a beautiful island called the "Green Island" which adds to the allure of the beach.
Dharmadam Island: (100 meters away from the mainland at Dharmadam)
The small 5 acre (20,000 m²) island covered with coconut palms and dense bushes is a beautiful sight from the Muzhappilangad beach. During low tide, one can just walk to the island from the beach. It is surrounded by rivers and seas. Permission is required to enter this privately owned island. Dharmadam, earlier known as Dharmapattanam was a Buddhist stronghold.
Bekal fort – 60 kms. from Kannur
Kannur – Teleparambu – Payyanur - Kazhanjad (Bekal Fort)
Bekal, situated on the seashore of Pallikara village, is an important place of tourist interest in the district. It lies 12 kms. south of Kasargod town. According to Bekal Rama Nayak, a local Kannada writer, the word, Bekal is derived from the word Baliakulam, meaning Big Palace. The place is said to have been the seat of a big palace in the past. The term Baliakulam got corrupted as Bekulam and later as Bekal.
The Bekal fort, which is of great historical and archaeological interest, is the largest and best preserved of its kind in the district and the land on which it is situated, runs into the sea with fine bay towards the south. According to the South Canara Manual, Bekal fort fell into the hands of Haider Ali in 1763. After the overthrow of Tipu Sultan in 1799, Bekal was incorporated into the dominions of the English East India Company. The erstwhile Kasaragod taluk of South Canara district was known as Bekal for more than half a century.
The Bekal fort is now under the Archeological Department of the Government of India.
The natural scenery at Bekal is alluring and makes a visit to the place an exhilarating experience. There is a recently renovated temple dedicated to Hanuman, at the entrance to Bekal. An old mosque is also situated very near the fort and this is believed to have been founded by Tipu Sultan.
Ezhimala, the capital of the ancient Mooshika kings, is considered to be an ancient historical site. It is a conspicuous, isolated cluster of hills, forming a promontory, 38 kms. north of Kannur.
A flouriIshing sea port and centre of trade in ancient Kerala, it was one of the major battle fields of the Chola-Chera war of the 11h century .I It is believed that Lord Budha had visited Ezhimala. An old mosque, believed to contain the mortal remains of Shaikh Abdul Latif, a Muslim reformist, is also located here. The hill is noted for rare medicinal herbs. Bordered by sea on three sides, Ezhimala is set to occupy a prominent place in the naval history of the country, consequent to the proposal for commissioning the N.aval Academy here.
(29 kms. from Kannur): This renowned centre for arts and culture at New Mahe. Conduct courses in painting, sculpture music, dance and pottery
(37 kms. east of kannur ): An ideal retreat for rourists ,the dam site is famous for its scenic beauty. The District Tourism Promotion Center provides pleasure boating facilities at the reservoir.
(65 kms. from Kannur Town ): This enchanting hill station ,situated 4,500 ft. above sea level near the Kerala - Karnataka border ,is rich in flora and fauna. It is a 6 km trek to the top of the hills.
(20 kms.from Kannur, near Thalasseri town on the national high way at Illikunnu): Dr; Herman Gundert ,the revered German Missionary, scholar, lexicographer lived in this bungalow for 20 years from 1839.It was here that one of the first malayalam dictionaries and the first malayalam newspaper Rajyasamacharam took shape.
Snake Park at Parassinikkadavu
The Snake Park at Parassinikkadavu is situated 18 kms. away from Kannur town. It Is one of the known snake parks in the country. The park is dedicated to the preservation and conservation of snakes, most of which are becoming extinct gradually. There is a large collection of poisonous and non-poisonous snakes.
Moppila Bay is a natural fishing harbour, lying near Fort St. Angelos. A sea wall projecting from the fort separates the rough sea and inland water. The bay was famous during the Kolathiris' regime as a commercial harbour that linked Kolathunadu with Lakshadweep and foreign countries in imports. Today , Mopilla bay has turned into a modernised fishing harbour, developed under the Indo-Norwegian Pact.
Kottiyoor Shiva Temple
Kottiyoor Shiva Temple located at Kottiyoor, is one of the a famous Lord Shiva temple of North Malabar. This temple is located approximately 50 km from Kottayam Malabar. This Shiva Temple also known as the Kasi of South (Dakshina Kaasi). This is a famous pilgrim of Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati. Actual name of this temple is Sree Kottiyoor Mahadeva Kshetram. Kottiyoor temple is located near Kelakam. Sri Kottiyoor temple attracts lakhs of devotees every year during the "Vaisakha Maholsavam" celebrations. Kottiyoor is totally different from any other temple. Set amidst the jungle, nourished by a flowing river in serene surroundings, you will feel the divine energy the moment you step on this mythical land.
Kannur is the nearest rail head. Kozhikode (Calicut) Airport is the nearest airport. Kannur Airport is coming-up at Mattannur.
This beautiful ancient mosque was originally built in 1124 by Malik Ibn Dinar, a Muslim preacher. A block of white marble in the mosque is believed to have been brought from Mecca by its founder, who came to India to spread the word of Muhammad. Near by, lies a dilapidated fort believed to have been built by king Kolathiri.
This beach is located near to the Ezhimala Naval Academy. Excellent beach & not to be missed.