The Serai Resort, Kabini is located in a village called Karapura, 220 kms away from Bangalore, near the Rajiv Gandhi National Park and is adjacent to the Kabini River Lodge property. Their resort is strategically located on the banks of the magnificent Kabini River and serves as a wonderful gallery for viewing wildlife.
The Kabini River runs between Bandipur and Nagarahole, two of the richest National Parks at the foothills of the Western Ghats in Southern India. These forests cover around 1500 sq. km (580 sq. miles) and are a mix of tropical moist and dry deciduous types.
The region around Kabini River supports tree species like Teak, Mathi, Dindla, Sandalwood, Rosewood and many more along with bamboo and other grasses. The whole beautiful landscape and river backdrop glorifies the magnificence of The Serai resort in Kabini.
The fauna boasts more than 300 species of birds, including the endemic Malabar Trogon and Malabar Pied Hornbill, the Crested Hawk-eagle as well as an impressive assemblage of herbivores like the Asiatic Elephant, the Gaur (Indian Bison) and the Sambar, which results in a high density of prey in this region.
This in turn, supports a large and thriving population of predators like the Tiger (incidentally, the Nagarahole region is said to have the highest density of Tigers in India), the Leopard and the Indian Wild Dog.
The backwaters of the Kabini reservoir are now an important perennial water source where one can witness the largest and most spectacular congregations of Asiatic Elephants during peak summers.
Land or water safaris (by jeep / boat) into the tourism zone of the National Park. A qualified naturalist accompanies you on every trip to help you interpret the exotic flora and fauna of the region.
Getting up-close to nature is fully experienced only when you venture out and feel the emotions she exudes. Learn everything about the flora and fauna of the region from their naturalists who will lead you on the trail.
Bird watching in Kabini is an excellent pastime with over 300 species of birds being recorded here.
The Kabini region is dominated by deciduous forests, but you can also find patches of scrubs around the periphery as well as a lot of cultivation around the area. The backwaters of the Kabini act as a huge water body attracting a wide variety of water birds. Even when the river recedes, it leaves isolated pools of water that attract a multitude of birds as fish are trapped in them.
Some of the birds that can be found in this region are the Osprey, Grey-headed Fish Eagle, Malabar Pied Hornbill, White-bellied Sea Eagle, Malabar Trogon, White-bellied Woodpecker, White-rumped Shama and the Plum-headed Parakeet.
Boat Rides / Kayaking
The Kabini River is almost human. During the hot summer months it tries to hide (unsuccessfully though) between rocks and sand bars and during the monsoon it gushes effusively. A rowboat, kayak or a pedal boat would be a good way to explore the exciting birdlife on the edge of the water.
The resort is located on acres of swaying palm trees and lush, tall grass (home to dozens of different birds) and a good way to explore it would be on a bicycle.
One of the nicest things about a resort in the wilderness is the beautiful clear sky above. The resort provides a telescope and with the help of their trained naturalists, you can embark on a cosmic trip and discover the mysteries that lie beyond our planet.
The resort has bonfires at the resort every evening where you can huddle round and let their naturalists entertain you with jungle yarns. Sip a drink. Greet your fellow guests. Make new friends.
There are a lot of other activities you and your family could engage in at the resort. Be sure to check with their staff when you get there.
HUDDLE – CONFERENCE HALL
Conference Hall Charges: Rs.5000 + taxes per day
Open from: 9.00 am - 7.00 pm
Seating Capacity: 50
- Air-conditioned Hall
- LCD TV
- Projector Screen
- Flip Chart
- White Board
- Writing pads with pencils
- Cordless collar and hand mikes
- DVD player
- PC connectivity
- Tea / coffee / cookies will be served twice a day
Visitors who would like to better acquaint themselves with Kabini jungles and the delicate eco-system would find this centre a treasure-trove of information.
The resort stocks a good collection of wildlife books, puzzles and board games for the kids and many interesting wildlife films and documentaries.
FLAMES – THE RESTAURANT
- A delectable buffet spread of vegetarian and non-vegetarian food.
- Breakfast is a combination of Continental and Indian varieties.
- Lunch and Dinner is Indian cuisine.
- Excellent options even in the vegetarian fare.
- Food that tastes as good as home cooked food.
- Food will be made non-spicy for visiting foreigners on special request.
- Special Kids’ menu comprising of food that is non-spicy and exciting for children is available from 6.30 pm onwards.
- Extra Meals will be organized on special request
Breakfast: 9.00 am - 10.30 am
Lunch: 1.00 pm – 2.30 pm
Coffee / Tea: 3.30 pm
Dinner: 8.00 pm – 10.00 pm
Offers a magnificent view of the Kabini River.
Open from: 5.00 am - 11.00 pm
2 changing rooms
HOW TO REACH
From Bangalore | From Mysore
Options from Mysore To The Serai:
Mysore exit to The Serai - Kabini - 80 km
Mysore exit to H D Kote Handpost - 48 km
H D Kote Handpost to The Serai - Kabini - 32 km
Options from Bangalore To The Serai:
Bangalore to The Serai resort: 220 kms.
- Just before the entry into Mysore from Bangalore take a right turn into New Outer Ring Road from the main highway.
- After 20 kms. on the Ring Road take an exit to the right leading to a village called HD Kote.
- After about 45 kms. from the exit, reach H D Kote Hand-post in the middle of intersection of two roads.
- A few kilometers ahead, see the Kabini Dam signboard. Avoid the left turn towards the dam and take the curved right turn to reach a village called Antarasante. Cross the village and keep driving.
- Cross the check-post and continue and spot the Rajiv Gandhi National Park signboard.
- Take the left turn just before the Park entrance.
- Continue towards The Serai, now just 9 kms. away.
- Take a left turn in front of Jungle Lodges.
- Under less than 1 km. you will see The Serai